In 1704 philanthropist Elizabeth Fuller of Watford founded a charity school on land adjoining the parish churchyard in the centre of Watford. The original building, which was known as The Free School, may still be seen. The 40 boys and 20 girls were taught to read, write and 'cast accounts'. The schools became separate foundations for boys and girls in 1881 and the boys’ school moved to its present site in 1912.
As an outstanding school, Watford Grammar School for Boys became an Academy in 2010 and now has nearly 1400 students. The school draws on a wide catchment area and the school community contains a rich variety of cultures. Watford Grammar School for Boys is an all-ability school and we take pride in the high standards achieved by our students in academic study, sport, music and drama, as well as the first class quality of our facilities.
For more information about the school, please visit Watford Grammar School for Boys .